TOPS wants to bring the fun to you! Introducing TOPS Virtual Programs!
We know the last few weeks have presented new and unique challenges for everyone, but we also know the people of Sylvania and the surrounding communities are strong. We share in your sadness that our programs and special events had to be postponed or cancelled. But the staff at TOPS have been wearing their thinking caps all week, searched the world wide web high and low, and we think we have found a way to bring a little bit of fun and nature directly to you!
We are introducing TOPS Virtual Programs! Check back daily on all our social media for activities and adventures you can do at home and in our parks.* All activities will also be posted on our website at www.olanderpark.com/virtualprograms.
Bonus Feature: We have compiled a list of activities and resources available from our partners, plus local and national organizations. If you would like to share a resource to be posted, please email the info and/or link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*TOPS parks will remain open until we are directed otherwise by the local health department.
- Fun at Home & TOPS Parks
- Fun at Home
- Fun from Our Partners & Local Organizations
- Fun from All Over the World
- Fun Suggestions from the Community
Fun at Home & in TOPS Parks
It’s not too late to JOIN IN! Your Goal: Complete 365 miles by the end of 2020!
Are you ready to take on the Challenge? Register today! You will receive a pedometer and special log book with registration when normal park operations resume. Until then, track your miles using your own pedometer, your smartphone, or Google maps. Earn fun rewards when you reach the 180 and 365 mile-mark. Are you an overachiever? Earn a special reward for completing 500 miles!
Monthly walks and health-themed giveaways will help you stay focused and meet your wellness goals throughout the year. Stay tuned for the scheduled dates. Please note: Group walks have been suspended until further notice due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.
The TOPS Challenge is designed for miles completed at TOPS parks, however, if you walk, run, bike, rollerblade, and/or kayak at the Metroparks, your neighborhood, a treadmill, or any other location other than TOPS parks, estimate your mileage as close as possible and record it on your log. Be honest, because you’re only cheating yourself!
Challenge takes place until December 31, 2020. All prizes need to be picked up by January 31, 2021.
Residents & Members are Free; Non-Residents pay a one-time $10 registration fee.
To register, visit olander.recdesk.com or email email@example.com
*Pick up of registration materials and prizes has been suspended until further notice due to the Covid-19 crisis.
*Please remember to follow all rules and recommendations of the CDC and the Ohio Health Department. All guests visiting our parks are recommended to take preventative action when visiting the park system including self-monitoring and practicing social distancing.
Shamrock Scavenger Hunt – Completed
Lucky the Leprechaun paid a visit to The Olander Park System. He left his lucky shamrocks at TOPS parks, the TOPS website, and on the TOPS Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram page. Congrats to all the winners of the hunt. Check social media to see if you are a winner. Email us your information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay tuned for more Fun at Home & in TOPS Parks programs!
Fun at Home
Activity #9: The Bird Nest
Activity #8: Tic Tac Toe
Gather some rocks or stones from your house or out and about. (*Remember not to take rocks from private property.) You can also purchase rocks at your local home improvement store, just check the garden area. Get creative by painting them different colors, different designs, cute creatures, and more. The only limit is your imagination!
The best paint to use is acrylic paint or paint pens. If you have access to a sealer, spray them for longer use.
Use a cut wood slice, chalk on your driveway or sidewalk, or even a large piece of paper to create the tic tac toe grid. For game play, remember to make sure you have 10 stones – five of each type.
How to play Tic Tac Toe:
- The game is played on a grid that’s 3 squares by 3 squares.
- You are X, your friend (or the computer in this case) is O. Players take turns putting their marks in empty squares.
- The first player to get 3 of her marks in a row (up, down, across, or diagonally) is the winner.
- When all 9 squares are full, the game is over.
Have a bunch of rocks laying around? Check out this fun website for more rock painting ideas!
Activity #7: TOPS March Madness
Millions of basketball fans around the world are super bummed that the NCAA Basketball tournament was cancelled. We didn’t want you to miss out on filling out those brackets. Fill out your the TOPS Fan Favorite bracket today! Voting begins Friday, March 27 at 5pm. Vote on the TOPS Facebook page and Instagram stories for your chance to win too! TOPS Championship is April 6 beginning at Noon. The winner will be declared at 8pm!
Want to create your own bracket, click HERE. Want to pretend the tournament is still happening? Sporting News is still offering the chance to pick upsets and virtually watch your favorite teams advance, round-by-round to the Final Four. Click HERE for their website.
Activity #5: Explore Virtual Tours
Have you ever taken a virtual tour before? They are pretty amazing. Explore something local or something from afar, all from the comfort of your couch. Check out our favorites this week – March 24, 2020.
Local Virtual Tour: The Toledo Zoo is offering virtual tours of their exhibits. This week they are offering a virtual tour of the Aquarium. Check out the variety of fish on display and even get a peek at the gift shop. This 3D tour must have been filmed before a fancy event. Any guesses what the event was for? Click HERE for the link to the 3D Virtual Tour of the Aquarium. To stay up-to-date with all the fun things happening at the zoo, visit their Facebook and Instagram pages.
National Virtual Tour: The National Park Service has partnered with Google Arts and Culture to bring you the Hidden Worlds of the National Parks. Discover in-depth stories and insights from the experts. Explore panoramic views of famous sites in 360˚ Street View tours. Explore images, artifacts and more in high resolution. Take a tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park or Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. Click HERE to start exploring. What is your favorite national park?
Activity #4: Make Your Own Mancala Game
- Take your empty egg carton.
- Carefully cut off the top.
- Feeling creative? Color the egg carton with markers or crayons to make it festive.
- Fill each small pocket with four of anything, any color (candy, pebbles, Cheerios, beans, …be creative!) Now you are ready to play!
- Click HERE for directions on how to play.
For more information, visit https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/blog-posts/alycia-zimmerman/mancala-classroom/
Activity #3: Build a Fort in Your Living Room
Before the digital age, children spent hours trying to entertain themselves. Building a fort in the living room was a childhood favorite. If you didn’t get a chance to do this as a child, now is the time to break this oldy but goody out. Minimal supplies are needed. All you need are a couch or some chairs, pillows, a blanket or two, plus a little imagination. Want to get fancy? Add some holiday lights, toys, books, or anything else that would make you happy.
Need a little inspiration? Check out the links below for some ideas. Share photos of your forts on our social media with #olanderparks #TOPSforts
- For the super adventurous: https://diply.com/diy-forts-escape-adult-life
Activity #2: At Home BINGO with TOPS
Directions: Download these two BINGO cards and play individually or as a team. Look for items in your home and outside. Can you make a BINGO?
How to Win? Five in a Row or Four Corners or Fill Entire Card
Share photos of your BINGOs on our social media with #olanderparks #TOPSBingo
Activity #1: Olander Park Crossword Puzzle
Click HERE for the Clues
Click HERE for the Answers
Stay tuned for more Fun at Home programs!
Fun from Our Partners & Local Organizations
- Heritage Sylvania: Camp AH-HA! where At Home History Adventures begin! Check out their daily postings of projects for you and your children to do together to keep the learning going. Visit: https://heritagesylvania.org/educational-resources/camp-ah-ha-at-home-history-adventures/
- Toledo Lucas County Public: The library’s entire online eMedia collection including eBooks, audiobooks and streaming movies, music and television shows is still available for use with your Library card. If you don’t have a Library card, you sign up for one today and get instant access to these materials! Visit: https://www.toledolibrary.org/
- Imagination Station: Check out some of their favorite DIY experiments that can be replicated at home or in your classroom. Visit: https://www.imaginationstationtoledo.org/educator/activities
- Metroparks Toledo: Check out all the trails you can explore! Visit: https://metroparkstoledo.com/explore-your-parks/
- Toledo Zoo: Check out their Animal Meet & Greets on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/TheToledoZoo/. Learn about the animals at the Toledo Zoo on their website at https://www.toledozoo.org/animals
Stay tuned for more information on the Fun from Our Partners & Local Organizations.