TOPS provides programs and events year round for Sylvania Residents of all ages!
Programs are FREE for residents and members of The Olander Park System unless a special material/instructor fee is noted, and $5 for non-residents.
- Advance registration required online here, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 419-882-8313 ext. 1004. Registration will open one month prior to a program’s scheduled date.
- Cancellation Policy: To reach as many people as possible, we ask that you cancel your registration no later than 24 hours before a scheduled free TOPS program (PreK, Adult, etc.). If you or a family member is registered for a free program and do not attend without prior notification for two consecutive classes, TOPS reserves the right to remove you or your family member from the roster of future programs. Programs with an additional material/instructor fee (SUPYOGA, Pilates in the Park, make-n-take activity), require 3-day advanced cancellation to receive a full refund.
- To make each program as successful as possible for all participants, please notify the park system prior to registration regarding special needs or accommodations.
- TOPS strives to provide the most up-to-date information. TOPS reserves the right to change or cancel programs due to weather, low enrollment, etc.
What’s Up at TOPS?
View the current event & program schedule organized by age group in The Pathfinder!
For the event calendar visit HERE
You can also sign up for our Monthly E-Newsletter to get the latest updates on TOPS events.
Find the program for you and register ONLINE today!
Current & Upcoming Programs
- This Month's Programs
- Next Month's Programs
- Halloween Hike
- Olander 250 Walking Challenge
- I Love Olander Day
- Sunset Serenades Concert Series
Check out all of the amazing programs we have to offer this month!
- Make a Difference Day: Saturday, October 27, 9am to Noon • Sylvan Prairie Park, South Lot. • For over 25 years, volunteers and communities have come together on Make A Difference Day with a single purpose: to improve the lives of others. Join TOPS Natural Resources Staff and help us to continue to improve water quality, wildlife and fish habitat, and increase ecosystem services that we all depend on! We will be watering existing trees, planting new trees, shrubs and other native plants in several riparian areas that have been recently restored. This project is sponsored by ServeOhio. All ages welcomed! Lunch will be provided for the first 75 registrants. Remember to dress for the weather with closed toed shoes, apply bug spray and sunscreen prior to arrival, and bring a water bottle. Have questions? Contact email@example.com
- 21st Annual Halloween Hike: Friday, October 26, Entry between 6 to 7pm • Superheroes, princesses and dinos will bound all around Lake Olander at TOPS’ most popular family event! Kids collect treats at stations as storytellers recite friendly tales of the Enchanted Evening! The Hike is family-friendly and not intended to scare children. For kids 12 & under; children MUST be accompanied by an adult guardian. Admission: $2 donation for ages 3 to 12; 2 & under FREE. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Sylvania Area Family Services. Park at Tam-O-Shanter and enter on Vicksburg Avenue or use the Olander walk-in gates. Remember to dress for the weather. The Hike is rain or shine. Program presented with Meijer.
- Wonders of Yoga: Thursdays, October 4, 11:15am and October 25, 11am • Olander Park, Gorman Nature Education Center. • This beginner yoga class is based on physical postures, deep breathing, mindfulness and listening to the body. It builds strength, flexibility and confidence. Suitable for all ages. Participants under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult. Rachna Maheshwari, instructor.
- Star Party: Friday, October 19, 7pm • Sylvan Prairie Park, South Lot • Join the Toledo Area Astronomers for an evening of star watching. TAA members set up their telescopes so you can look at the stars, moon and other astronomical objects. You may bring your own scope. Cancelled if cloudy or raining.
- Come Dance with Me: Wednesdays, October 3 to 31, 6:30 to 8pm • Olander Park, Nederhouser Community Hall • Come dance with Mary Leugers. This class is designed for people with some dance experience. Join us! It is fun and great exercise. Pre-registration not required. Cost: $5 each class paid to instructor.
- Come Dance with Me for Beginners: Tuesdays, October 16 to 31, 1:30 to 3pm • Olander Park, Nederhouser Community Hall • Haven’t danced before? Don’t worry. This is beginners class is for you. Move your feet to the beat and learn to line dance with Mary Leugers. It’s fun and great exercise! Pre-registration not required. Cost: $3 each class paid to instructor.
- Ahoy! Pirates at Olander!: Friday, October 5, 10am • Olander Park, Gorman Nature Education Center • Have you heard of pirate bugs? Together we will spend these two weeks following maps, finding bugs, treasures, and the jewels of Olander. Yo! Ho! Fun with puppets, treasure boxes, stories, songs and adventures await us! Register for one or both programs. Joyce Davis, instructor.
- Fall is Fallin!: Tuesday, October 16, 10am •Olander Park, Gorman Nature Education Center • Fall Is Falling! Fall arrives quickly! Join ECO Discovery! and catch fall facts and fun. Hear a story, have a snack and breathe in the crisp autumn air. See you there!
- October Surprises at Olander: Friday, October 19, 9:30am •Olander Park, Gorman Nature Education Center • October is so much more than Halloween. Recognizing leaves by name, learning secrets of acorns, observing busy squirrels and birds, along with stories, songs and puppets complete our Olander adventure today. Joyce Davis, instructor.
- Hides that Hide!: Tuesday, October 23, 10am •Olander Park, Gorman Nature Education Center • Many animals can hide right out in the open! Join ECO Discovery! and learn more about camouflage. Share a story about disguise and eat a secret snack. Meet an animal that is camouflaged!
Wild Ones is a not-for-profit, environmental education and advocacy organization whose members promote using native plants and natural landscaping. Established in 1979, Wild Ones has over 50 chapters around the country. The Oak Openings Chapter meets every Second Tuesday at Olander Park this fall in the Nederhouser Community Hall. Each program is free and open to the public; registration is not required. See www.oakopenings.wildones.org for more program information.
Dragonflies of the Toledo Area: Tuesday, October 9, 7pm • Olander Park, Nederhouser Community Hall • Rick Nirschi will identify the primary dragonflies that can be found in the Toledo area, along with the habitat that supports their life.
- Olander Park Fall Cleaning: Saturday, October 20, 9am to Noon. Olander Park, Maintenance Building. Join our Maintenance staff to help with a variety of projects including prepping the park for the winter season, picking up leaves and litter, and more.
21st Annual Halloween Hike
Friday, October 26; Event entry: 6 to 7pm
Superheroes, princesses and dinos will bound all around Lake Olander at TOPS’ most popular family event! Kids collect treats at stations as storytellers recite friendly tales of the Enchanted Evening! The Hike is family-friendly and not intended to scare children. For kids 12 & under; children MUST be accompanied by an adult guardian. Admission: $2 donation for ages 3 to 12; 2 & under FREE. A portion of the proceeds are donated to Sylvania Area Family Services. Park at Tam-O-Shanter and enter on Vicksburg Avenue or use the Olander walk-in gates. Remember to dress for the weather. The Hike is rain or shine. Program presented with Meijer.
If you, your family, school, scout pack, cheerleading squad, sports team, civic organization, community group or company would like to run a Treat Station during the Halloween Hike, contact Jenny by phone at 419-882-8313, extension #1000, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers arrive at 5:15pm and stay until roughly 7:45pm. Dress in a “friendly” costume or wear your group’s uniform. TOPS needs roughly 100 volunteers for the Hike.
The Olander 250 Walking Program is from May 1 to October 31. Participants who successfully walk or run 250 or more miles in the six-month time frame will receive an award to recognize your accomplishment.
Click here to print a copy of the walking log.
All logs due by November 7th. Pick up your form today at the Callahan Administrative Office or Nederhouser Community Hall info box.
Thank you to everyone who celebrated the park system’s 60th Birthday at the 2nd Annual I Love Olander Day on Sunday, September 30 from 12 – 4 p.m.
Click here for more information on this family fun-filled day.
Stay tuned for information about the 3rd Annual I Love Olander Day in 2019!
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR PERFORMERS, VENDORS & SPONSORS FOR A GREAT SUMMER!!!
- Dylan & Shawn
- Toledo Symphony musicians Damon Coleman & Cheryl Trace
- Mikes with Mics
- Jeff McDonald’s Swingmania!
- Extra Stout
- Toledo Polish American Concert Band
SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT ATTENDED A CONCERT THIS SUMMER!!! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!
* Interested in being booked for a date next year for our 2019 Sunset Serenade Concert Series? Contact Danielle Marino, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com