Thank you for attending the Family Fishing Weekend at Olander Park! Enjoy these BONUS activities and information!
Did you find all the fish in the scavenger hunt? All of these fish can be found in Olander Park!
- Largemouth Bass are Ohio’s most popular fish. They are found in ponds, streams, rivers, and almost all inland lakes and reservoirs.
- Black Crappie are easy to catch and common in many Ohio lakes. They have irregularly arranged speckles and blotches and have seven to eight spines on their dorsal fin.
- Northern Pike are only found in Lake Erie and northern rivers in Ohio. These fish are easily attracted to flashy and bright lures.
- Yellow Perch are found primarily in upground reservoirs in Northwestern Ohio. They tend to be found in clear water near vegetation.
- Green Sunfish are bluish-green with emerald and yellow iridescent flecks and streaks. Their earflaps are black with a yellow to white margin.
- Bluegill Sunfish are dark green in color and are one of the most common fish found in many types of bodies of water throughout Ohio.
- Rainbow Trout are not native to Ohio but have been introduced from the western coast of North America. Lake Erie rainbow trout are primarily bright silver with a bright pink band.
Learn about the fish in our Scavenger Hunt by clicking the links below!
Learn how to get your very own Ohio Fishing License: https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-ODNR/wildlife
- Trout Coloring Pages: Color your own trout! It can be a rainbow trout or even a brown trout! ~ https://www.coloringall.com/coloring-pages/trout/
- Young Fisherman Coloring Page: Color a picture of a young fisherman who has just caught a trout! ~ https://coloringhome.com/coloring-page/14883?album=free-printable-fish-coloring-pages
- Family Fishing Weekend Fish Coloring Page: Color the fun fish that was on your goody bag! ~ https://drive.google.com/file/d/11uuVg878unf3jkYM-ZrmjePw7aIJbVOO/view?usp=sharing
- Family Fishing Weekend Word Search: Find as many fishing-related words in a word search created by Ariel, TOPS Program Assistant ~ https://drive.google.com/file/d/10N4FwUNMQ1gsUneuNG4maJ1qJHtF0SVQ/view?usp=sharing
- Fishing Line Maze: Follow the lines from the fishing poles to find which one caught a fish! ~ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x0chGGIqKee1OluWKsuTil5-9OvY9kJl/view?usp=sharing
- DIY Fish Hand Puppets: Make your own fish hand puppets at home! (Some adult supervision required.) ~ https://www.educatall.com/page/1580/Handprint-fish-puppets.html
If you took a great photo this weekend:
- Tag us on Facebook @theolanderparksystem
- Tag us on Instagram or Twitter @olanderparks
- Email email@example.com
Did you miss out on a registration spot or are looking for some added fun? Don’t worry! TOPS staff will offer some fun activities that will be available to those who registered and the general public including a scavenger hunt with prizes, storybook trail, food truck, activities, and more!
Award Winning Chili, Hot Dogs, & more! Details coming soon!
Fish Scavenger Hunt around Olander Park. Grab your scavenger hunt form at check-in table and then search for the hidden fish around the park. Solve the puzzle and then come back to where you checked in between 11am and 1pm to see if you solved the puzzle and to collect the prize.
Toledo Lucas County Public Library Bookmobile will be at Olander Park on Saturday, June 19 between 9am and 1pm! Stop by to check out some “fishy” books. Don’t have a library card? Staff will be available to sign your family up during the event! Look for them at Open Air Shelter #2
Storybook Trail featuring We Love Fishing by Ariel Bernstein • Follow the trail at Olander Park to read this fun story.
It’s a beautiful day, and a group of friends are excited to spend it together. The woodland creatures can’t wait to pile into their boat and go fishing! Or, at least, Bear, Porcupine, and Otter can’t wait. They love fishing. Squirrel…does not. Squirrel tags along with his enthusiastic friends, but is there anything they all love? Or is this fishing trip already sunk?
Thank you to our 2021 Sponsors
Learn more about our Family Fishing Weekend Sponsors:
- Jann’s Netcraft: https://www.jannsnetcraft.com
- Waterford Bank, N.A.: https://www.waterfordbankna.com/
- Tomahawk Archers: https://www.tomahawkarchers.com/
- Gregory L. Arnold, Attorney at Law: http://www.arnoldattorneys.com/
- Sylvania Playland: http://www.sylvaniaplayland.com/
- Par 2 Golf Toledo: http://par2golf.com/
- Michigan United Conservation Clubs: https://mucc.org/tracks-magazine/
How to Register
Family Event Registration – How does it work?
- Register one person (adult head of household) for a check-in timeslot on Saturday or Sunday. The check-in time options are 9am, 9:30am, 10am, 10:30am. Important: Please only register one person, for one timeslot, on one day.
- Registration opens on Wednesday, May 19 at Noon for Sylvania School District Residents and TOPS Members. Registration opens Wednesday, May 26 at Noon for all others. REGISTER HERE -olander.recdesk.com/Community/Program
- During your registration, you will be asked to complete a section asking the number of questions including the number of children (ages 3 to 15 years old) in your group.
- Complete the waiver of liability for your group.
- Checkout: There is no fee to participate. However, please make sure you go through the entire checkout process – it should say “Checkout has been successfully completed!” in green.
- Check your inbox for a receipt that lists more details about the day of check-in and parking instructions.
- Need to cancel your registration? Please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving a message at 419.882.8313, ext. 1004.
- We will have a waitlist available and you will be contacted if a spot opens up.
Did you miss out on a registration spot? Don’t worry! Activities available to the general public will include a scavenger hunt with prizes, storybook trail, food truck, activities, and of course – fishing!
*By registering for the event, you guarantee the children in your group will receive a goody bag, and you will be eligible for the raffle prizes donated by local businesses and organizations. If bags are available after 11am, they will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
This event is free and open to all.
Event is Rain or Shine.
Bonus – ODNR waives the fishing license requirement for one weekend in June every year which will be during our event. Therefore, a fishing license will not be required for adults over the age of 16 at Olander Park.
Check In at Event
Check-in at Event – How does it work?
- Parking will be first-come, first-serve, and will be limited to the North lot and side grass lots. Parking attendants will be available to assist in finding a parking spot. Please try to carpool as much as possible.
- Send one representative from your group to check-in at the time you choose during registration – 9am, 9:30am, 10am, 10:30am on either Saturday or Sunday.
- During check-in, you will receive goody bags for the number of children that corresponds to the number entered during registration. You will also receive any raffle prizes during this time. We will announce the raffle prize winners on Friday, June 18 on Facebook, Instagram, and this website page.
- You are welcome to arrive at the park anytime beginning at 7am to find your favorite spot at the lake. However, please remember to only check in during the time you selected. The Bait & Boat Shop will open for bait and tackle sales at 9am.
- June 15 & 18: Event Prep for the big event!
- June 19 & 20: Help with set-up, scavenger hunt, parking, check-in, etc.