Spread a little kindness & connect with the community!
Join the TOPS letter-writing campaign for seniors & residents living in Sylvania nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospices, and senior centers.
This summer we will be collecting cards, letters, and pictures each week and distributing them to a different facility each week. We know physical distancing is important for public health right now, but our elders and those living in assisted living facilities need to feel supported. We all need a way to connect and fight the loneliness we may be feeling. We’re not all Shakespeare, but we can all make something beautiful for ourselves and others by putting pen to paper.
Each week we will offer a topic, but your letters, pictures, and cards can be about anything. Please follow the helpful tips below when making your contribution.
If you are interested in becoming a pen pal with one individual and receiving items in return, please email email@example.com for more information.
Share a story about your favorite park. Write it in a letter or card, or draw a picture.
Items will be collected throughout the month of September.
Want to color a picture? Download and print one of these coloring pages HERE. Printed copies are available outside of the Nederhouser Community Hall front doors.
Please remember to follow the Helpful Letter Tips & Guidelines when making your contribution.
Letters can be dropped off at the Olander Park Front Gate when there is an attendant present. If there is no attendant present, please drop off your item(s) in the dropbox at the Callahan Administrative Office on the east side of Olander Park. All letters from the week will be collected and distributed on Fridays to the week’s facility.
Letter Tips & Guidelines
1. Please handwrite your letters. Make sure your letters are legible, and large print would be helpful.
2. Be safe. First names and last initial only. No last names and no addresses.
3. Be creative! Think about what you would want to receive. Make your letter, drawing, card, etc. personal and heartfelt.
4. Be kind. This is a one-way letter exchange. Be thoughtful as you put your ideas together. Tell a story of your life, rather than just talking about yourself. Try to avoid the recipient feeling obligated or feeling guilty they are unable to respond. If you would like a pen pal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Avoid religion, if possible. Your letter should resonate with anyone.
6. If you can, put your letter, card, or picture in an envelope. Everyone loves opening a card and the excitement of what might be inside.
7. Share your act of kindness! Get your family and friends involved. There will is no such thing is us having too many cards. Share your photos with us on social media! #olanderparks
8. Send us as many cards as you’d like! This campaign will run from June through at least August.
Where to drop off your items?
- Letters can be dropped off at the Olander Park Front Gate when there is an attendant present.
- If there is no attendant present, please drop off your item(s) in the dropbox at the Callahan Administrative Office on the east side of Olander Park. (See picture below).
All letters from the week will be collected and distributed on Fridays to the week’s facility.
Callahan Administrative Office Drop Box